Nuevo Renacer, El Salvador

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Blessings

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” Matt. 5:3

I don't think this can truly be understood until one has spent some time with the poor. That can be in El Salvador or just outside Portland. But it never ceases to amaze me how people who struggle so dearly for the smallest things, have a joy, a kindness, a patience that I may never obtain in all my life. And their small village has a sense of community and home that actually draws me to return again and again to experienece the fullness of that community.

Now, I don't want to paint this too simply, there are many weapons of poverty: alcohol, drugs, abuse, illiteracy, hopelessness, etc. These things weigh down on the people in Nuevo Renacer as much as any place and we do see a small evidence of their presence when we visit.

And yet, despair has not consummed these people. Instead they move forward; they toil; they laugh; they thank God for what He has provided thus far. And with thankful spirits they are satisfied with the day. And whenever I am in El Salvador this is something I study and I ask God to increase in me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home